perjantai 8. maaliskuuta 2013

Blonde in Lisbon

On Tuesday morning, after some difficulties at Madrid airport (just couldn't find the Departures area in terminal 1. I felt so stupid going back and forth only seeing signs with "T2, T3 or T4"" or "Arrivals". No "Departures", "Boarding Gates" or "Security Check". Finally I realized there's a sign with a picture of a plane taking off - still no text but I figured out it must represent the Departures. Luckily I was in no hurry, but still, after carrying all my stuff in vain for almost half an hour: I hate Madrid airport.Or maybe I should be dyslexic or illiterate to get the logic faster. That was actually like in the Madrid city centre: the street signs have both the name of the street and a picture illustrating it on them, because until Middle Ages most of the people couldn't read. Just that there was only the picture this time.), I finally arrived safely in Lisbon. 
Getting from the airport to the city centre was the easiest and cheapest that I've had so far on my trip: you can take the metro and it only costs 1,40 € (or 1,25 € if you don't have to change the line).

My hostel (Yes! Hostel) was located in the city centre near the Commercial Square and the Baixa/Chiado metro station. Great location, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, practical rooms (a sink and a huge safety locker for everyone under their bed where you could easily lock all your stuff in) and an all-round breakfast buffet. Price didn't hurt the wallet too much: 10 €/night in a 6 bed female dorm. An absolutely great place for backpackers!

In Madrid, I'd got a "Lisbon-guide" done by S's Lisbon-born friend P with all possible sight-seeing and culture-related tips. Sights: São Jorge Castle, Praca Comercio, Santa Justa Elevator. Alfama neighborhood with narrow alleys, tiny local restaurants, churches and great views from the top of the hill. Chiado neighborhood for shopping. Historical tram line 28. Belem neighborhood for the Belem Tower, Jeronimos Monastery and "Pastéis de Belem" which are delicious sweet pastries baked with an ancient secret recipe of the monastery monks. 25th of April Bridge (Lisbon equivalent for Golden Gate Bridge). Colombo shopping centre next to the Colégio Militar/Luz metro station. All in all, Lisbon is very hilly. That means there are lots of places with amazing views over the city, but also that if you climb on top of all of them, your thighs will kill you in the evening... No kidding!

Lisbon (Portugal) is very cheap compared to many other European countries, but what irritated me as a tourist were the entrance fees into the sights. The castle fee was reasonable (4 € for students), but in the Belem area you could only get discount with a youth card "Euro under 26". I find it a bit weird that there were no student discounts available, and no way I would pay 8 euro for climbing into a regular tower.

A downside in Lisbon are pickpockets: they are everywhere. I was almost paranoid with my purse and smart phone... Once I was buing some stamps when I realized my jacket pocket was open and my purse wasn't there! My heart jumped into my throat I kept blaming myself for being so stupid and careless and what would I do now with no money and credit card and everything - then I realized I'd just taken the purse out of my pocket myself 10 seconds earlier and was holding it in my other hand. Oh. Talk about goldfish memory... So no pickpocketing from me this time.

 Another irritating thing is that when you look different (blond hair), you really get all the possible attention from every male person in a 50 m radar from you. Some might find it flattering, but after two weeks in Spain and Portugal I swear you'll be ready to dye your hair into dark brown just to be able to walk on the street for a moment with nobody shouting "Hola guapa! Hey babe!" and winking to you. I totally feel for the celebs with paparazzis hunting them!

The weather in Spain and Portugal wasn't the best possible: at times it was quite windy and it even rained a few times. Anyway, I loved it, because the temperature was still near +20 degrees Celcius, so it was like the Finnish summer. What I will miss the most were the shopping opportunities we don't have in Finland (not in Germany, either?): the chains Bershka, Blanco, Pull&Bear, Springfield and Stradivarius in every street corner. Oh, and Hollister and Abercrombie&Fitch as well (didn't see them in Portugal though, but in Spain anyway). Though I'm still quite disappointed there were no shirtless male models in the Madrid Abercrombie... Haha.

Budget so far:
Flights: 142 €
Other transport: 232 €
Accommodation: 132 €
Food: 145 €
Shopping: 147 €
Others: 60 €
=858 €

Ei kommentteja: