lauantai 2. maaliskuuta 2013

Zigzagging Zaragoza


From Wednesday ’til Saturday I got to enjoy E’s hospitality in her Erasmus-city Zaragoza. This time we didn’t quite nail everything anymore…

On Thursday the weather wasn’t on our side (rain in Spain, what a disaster!), so after sleeping long, some jogging home-cooked lunch and drinking melted chocolate with a chocolate chip cookie in the cutest café in the world (with all the floral wallpapers, romantic furniture and girly decorations it looked like inside Tinkerbell’s hmmhmm) we decided to explore a huge mall located a bit outside of the city. The trip should’ve taken about half an hour with two bus lines (and a 10 minute walk in between the bus stops). Because we hadn’t needed a map so far on our trip (and because we were in E’s hometown), we just got going and hopped on the first bus.

When I look back now, I think the first mistake we made was to head into a 90 degrees wrong direction when changing the bus. No, actually the first mistake of E was not to take an umbrella with her, and my first mistake was to wear my old worn out sneakers with a hole in their foot sole (surprise surprise, they’re not water proof). The next mistake was to continue walking into that wrong direction for almost half an hour (why didn’t it ring a bell that the walking distance should’ve been much shorter?).

The third mistake was to finally try to locate us with E’s smart phone’s Google maps and do it wrong. After another 20 minutes of walking into another wrong direction the next mistake was made: we finally located ourselves on the map correctly, but didn’t return back the same route we had come. No, we were confident we could find a shortcut to another bus stop, so we just kept walking.

After one and a half hours walking in the forest and along a highway and finding two cemeteries but no sight of a bus stop, the sun had gone down and we both were soaking wet and cold since it had been raining cats and dogs all the time. There were almost tears in our eyes when we finally found the bus going to the mall. Luckily the mall (Puerto Venecia if my memory serves me right) was worth of all that trouble. I found a new pair of sneakers for 11 euro, and also bought some dry socks to change into and a pair of gloves (1.50 €) to replace those I lost in Seville. E bought a cute pink umbrella and we also treated ourselves with some over-expensive chocolate.

Lady Fortuna had obviously turned her back on me that day, because I got some kind of tummy bug from the dinner we had later that night with E’s Erasmus-friends. I ended up admiring the bathroom in E’s place for most of Friday. Eventually in the evening I could eat something again and we made a nice sight-seeing stroll around the city centre in the soft lights after sunset. It was great to end the day with a relaxing pizza/movie night watching a sweet rom com (Something Borrowed).

Now I’m sitting in a bus on my way to Madrid. Can’t wait to see my host S, a Spanish-German friend of mine who did her Erasmus in Tübingen this winter!

Budget so far:
Flights: 112 €
Other transport: 221 €
Accommodation: 102 €
Food: 116 €
Shopping: 87 €
Others: 31 €
=669 €

Ei kommentteja: