tiistai 25. kesäkuuta 2013

I'm still here!

Just for your information: I didn't get stuck in Lisbon or anything, I just didn't have any access to WiFi in the last episodes of my Euro-trip (or any time to write a blog text either).
Just to sum it up:

Dublin was dull and grey and rainy. But for its defense, St. Patrick's Day was just one week after my stay, so I'm sure I would've got a hugely better impression of the city had I visited it then. The hostel I stayed in was great (Isaacs Hostel), though I wouldn't recommend anyone to book a bed in a 14 bed dorm: That. Smell. Was. Indescribable. And if you sleep with the window open, you'll get cold. There was an interesting fellow traveller in the hostel, let's call her "Olmi". Whenever I went to the common room downstairs, she was there crouched over her laptop playing WOW. Seriously, first thing in the morning and last in the evening, during the whole day. Enjoying Dublin, I suppose.

London wasn't so sunny either, but at least it didn't rain! And the multicultural flavour of the metropolis just stole my heart! Luckily I had the best possible guide aka hostess, my friend H from Helsinki, touring me around the sights. There's just so much to see and experience! My personal highlight was King's Cross Station Platform 9 3/4. I literally grew up with Harry Potter, so that was like a pilgrimage for me. About the peculiarities: I didn't quite figure out the left hand traffic yet, and I highly doubt I ever will... It just makes no sense for my brain.

The last three days of England were spent in Southampton and Bath, with my former summer job colleague J hosting me. Must-see in Southampton: Titanic Museum. The best museum I've ever been to! So interactive (and of course, me being a huge Titanic fan, that was another pilgrimage). I seriously could've spent a whole day in there! Unfortunately I only had half a day time, so I guess I'll just have to get back there someday. An ancient Roman spa centre, Bath was my last destination. It kind of wrapped the whole tour up, since I started it in Wiesbaden, another roman spa town. I spent the most relaxing day in the local thermal bath, lying in a rooftop pool with breath taking views over the town. It was sunny, so I actually got my first tan lines there and then! Oh and I visited Jane Austen museum as well, but it wasn't so noteworthy as the Titanic one.

About the budget count. When I arrived in London, H told me just to translate all the prices directly from pounds to euro, so that I wouldn't be so upset about how expensive everything is. That's exactly what I did, and that's also the reason I stopped counting my travel budget. The less you know, the less painful it is for you.

In my next post I'll sum up my other trips of this late spring: Paris, an orienteering training camp in Sweden and a two-week road trip in Italy and Croatia. Now I totally am out of money. Luckily I still had just enough to be able to buy a ticket back home in the end of July, but that's just about it.

Ei kommentteja: