sunnuntai 24. helmikuuta 2013

Road tripping in Spain – Who needs a map anyway?


On Thursday evening after a 2,5 hour flight to Malaga playing a relationship therapist to a heartbroken Spanish girl (how to say someone nicely, that if a guy has clearly told you all the time from the very beginning that he doesn’t like you in a romantic way and isn’t looking for a relationship, you should just give up, ‘cause HE’S CLEARLY JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU?!) I was thrilled to meet one of my best and oldest friends E at Malaga airport. (E is in Erasmus exchange in Zaragoza this spring and travelled to south to make a mini road trip with me.)

The road trip didn’t get on in the smoothest possible way: we’d rented a car online in advance, but ended up waiting one hour at the airport, because the minibus transport to the rental cars’ company didn’t show up. Finally we found the place and got the car, but didn’t quite find the right road leading to our next destination Barbate (between Gibraltar and Cadiz).

After some U-turns and disappearing roads (don’t trust Google Maps route guide!) we found the route and had a blast on our way south (driving in a foreign country in complete darkness, while it’s raining cats and dogs with no map and with so much fog outside that you can’t really read the road signs or even tell if you’re by the ocean or not, is the greatest thing if you’re in right company!) Our estimated 2 hour ride ended up taking 4 hours, but punctually in the midnight we succeeded in finding our hotel! We’re still not sure how we made it, because we didn’t even know its address, but I guess if you just go with the flow you just sometimes have plain luck.

Neither me nor E know so much about cars, so we still haven’t got any clue what kind of petrol (or diesel) we should put into our car (Mitsubishi Colt, so if you know, please share the information with us). But I guess we’ll figure it out tomorrow, somehow, when our trip continues to Seville.

By the way, I realized on Friday morning that I didn't have my digital camera and make-up bag with me anymore, but didn't know if I'd forgot them in Helsinki, Nokia, Tampere airport, Frankfurt-Hahn airport or Wiesbaden. After some consulting of my friends and family the objects were found in Nokia and sent to Madrid (where I'll be staying at a friend's place next weekend). I just hope the Spanish mail service is quick and trustworthy enough... We'll see. 'Til then I'll have to use my Samsung mobile camera. And anyway I noticed that there's no way I can get the pics out of any of my cameras, because I forgot the cables in Tübingen. So just wait 'til the middle of March to see them...

Anyway, now we’ve been in Caños de Meca since Thursday – we suppose it’s a holiday paradise in the summer, but it’s a totally dead place at the moment. Here’s really nothing else but beaches, and since the heat wave hasn’t come yet… there’s just nothing going on. Why we choose to come here is that the Finnish National Team for Orienteering and many other orienteerers have a training camp in Caños de Meca until April, so we wanted to meet our friends here. I must admit that the views and forests by the ocean are great! It’s been nice couple of days just jogging in the nature and enjoying the Andalucian country side before starting the city tours (Seville, Zaragoza, Madrid, etc…)

Okay today E and I played tourists in the evening and visited one of the oldest cities in Europe: Cadiz. It’s a beautiful city on an island, famous for once being one of Spain’s major harbors (Columbus started his second journey to America from Cadiz in 1495, and the city served as a capital harbor for the Spanish treasure navy), picturesque old town and large beaches. Once again we proved that you don’t need a map if you just have a strong faith on what you’re doing (or just go with the flow like we did). We strolled the narrow alleys in the old centre, enjoyed beach boulevards and parks, ate a real meaty Spanish supper and tried the local bus transport as well as the taxis.

PS. The weather's been nice! Sun is shining and I'm experiencing the warmest February in my whole life so far!

Tomorrow: jogging in the beach landscape and then trying to find our way to Seville (this time hopefully before midnight)!

Budget so far:
Flights: 94 €
Other transport: 150 €
Accommodation: 60 €
Food: 48 €
Others: 5 €
------
=357 €

Ei kommentteja: